Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Kamila Mylnarczyk: Wooded Woods

For October, I'm featuring some of my favorite pieces in our collection of Halloween art and I'll direct you to where you can purchase similar pieces from the featured artist.


Kamila Mylnarczyk is an artist in Kitchener, Ontario who draws incredibly sad and creepy little girls. I'm really drawn to her work even though it often horrifies me on some level. There's a sense of deep anger and mistrust in her work and the little girls she depicts are mischievous, out-right evil, isolated, sometimes frighted, and often gleeful. I can't explain my attraction to them except seeing these emotions depicted on little girls always makes me pause. Mylnarczyk's style is cartoonish and they almost look like she used crayons in a hurried attempt to get the image out of her mind. The only reason I don't have more of her work in our collection is that her drawings stir so much emotion in me that I can't decide!

The piece we do own is of a little Polish girl that looks a bit deranged. I purchased it because somewhere there is a photo of me at about age 4 in a very similar costume! My photo is full of smiles, but I think deep inside, I look more like this drawing.


The piece lives on our ever changing wall of art.



Mylnarczyk's shop is called WoodedWoods. Here is what is available right now.

Your Mom
Crazy
Witch Friends
Mood
Abduction
Suitcases in the Graveyard
Mylnarczyk's pieces are affordable to almost everyone! If you have some extra cash laying around, you should also check out the art dolls she has available. Follow her on Instagram @woodedwoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment