Wednesday, October 23, 2019

13 Days of Halloween: Our Spooky Backyard

We have a rather large flower garden at the back of our house. It's beautiful when it's beautiful, but it gets weedy really quickly. It's also what you might call a rambling cottage garden in that plants move where they want and spread rapidly. Sometimes I think there is a ghost gardener back there creating mischief at night. As I was walking through it in August wondering when I would have the time to get it back under control, it dawned on me that it looked like an abandoned cemetery. Problem solved.

Our Halloween party included a bonfire where we released the Pumpkin King's spirit into the world by roasting a pumpkin on the fire and eating the roasted seeds (done earlier in the day.)

First a quick look at the garden when it looks not quite so weedy.


Now the garden set for the Halloween party.












Torches led the way to the bonfire from the house.




The pumpkin the day after the bonfire. I was shocked it didn't burn! Now it stays till the snow falls.



I actually like the back garden as a cemetery so much that I've started pondering about how expensive it would be to have some real tombstones made. My husband rolled his eyes, but where there is a will....

No comments:

Post a Comment