Monday, October 21, 2019

13 Days of Halloween: Day Three, The Great Pumpkin Project


Have you heard of The Great Pumpkin Project? The mission of the project is to place a carved jack o'lantern "in a spot that looks in need of its presence." In the words of the project creator:
"Can you remember back to a time as a kid where Halloween was magic? ... The Great Pumpkin Project is a movement to bring back the spirit of those nights, and the season's high holiday, All Hallow's Eve."
It's true! Carving a pumpkin and leaving it to be found by others is SO MUCH FUN! It truly does make me feel like a kid again. After I place it, I'm absolutely giddy.

I participated two years ago by leaving three pumpkins around our town. I did it all on the night before Halloween. This year I have five pumpkins to carve and I'm placing them around town on five different nights. I use inexpensive battery operated candles in mine so that there is no need to worry about a fire being started.

You can see where others have left their pumpkins by using #TheGreatPumpkinProject on Instagram. Here are photos of my pumpkins I placed in 2017 and this year so far.

2017 Pumpkins

Thomas Abbey Statue
The Town Cemetery Entrance
Town Public Library

2019 Pumpkin

Jack O'Lantern with The Great Pumpkin Project Tag
Rural Bridge
You can download tags to add to your pumpkins from The Great Pumpkin Project website. I"ll be posting the rest of my pumpkins to Instagram during the next nine days or so. I hope you'll carve at least one pumpkin this Halloween season and leave it for someone else to find. If you do, tag me in your photo on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment