Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Food Fit for a Funeral


You may recall that our Halloween party this year is going to be a re-creation of Edgar Allen Poe's Wake. I'm thinking I would like to serve dark-colored foods. While you may not want to take the food I'm posting today to an actual funeral, it could work for a party. It all depends on the the funeral, I suppose.

So, it's time for me to start considering what foods we'll be serving at the party. Note: the food part of the party is my most dreaded task. I just don't enjoy preparing food, but that's for some other blog. This means that any food we serve has to be easy to prepare or possible to make days ahead of the party.

Also, to be frank, I'm more concerned- some might say too concerned- with how the food is presented rather than how it tastes. The way I look at it most people will be imbibing in quantities of alcohol that will probably cause them not to really taste the food anyway. In truth, I'm more afraid that my cooking is horrible, so it should at least look good.

By the way, if you're not hosting a party, considering taking some of these foods to work. You can have a lunchtime funeral for your hopes and dreams.

Let's start simple. I once served Ring Dings unwrapped and stacked on a beautiful tiered serving plate. I sprinkled a few blackberries around and those chemical-laden sweets were the first to go. I kid you not.


If you're better than me, and I'm sure you are, do it right by baking a delicious Swiss Roll.

Recipe at The Kitchn

Someone did it with Oreos. Love it!

source: Emmaline Bride
Martha Stewart shows a very dark candy display which I love for presentation, but have to admit I don't really love the taste of licorice. But then again it's more about the look.
source: Martha Stewart
If you're real adventurous, you can try making your own licorice.
source: Saveur

For savory selections, you can serve crackers with an olive tapenade. Fabulous!

source; Pen & Fork
source: David Lebovitz

Check out this wonderful display
source: Style Me Pretty
And, don't forget the drinks.

Black Sangria from Sugar and Charm
Black Wines of Cahors
The Bruery Black Tuesday

That should give you a few ideas for appropriately themed party food. Good-luck. I think I need a Kitchen Witch.

No comments:

Post a Comment