Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Baba Yaga's Assistant


Marika McCoola's recent graphic novel Baba Yaga's Assistant is next up on my reading list. True, I'm recommending it to you based on the rave reviews of others, but I think you're not going to want to miss this one.  And, if being a successful writer isn't enough, McCoola is also a talented artist. I think I'm jealous already. By the way, this is a children/ young adult book. I have a thing for well-illustrated spooky books so I tend to read in this genre quite a bit.

Here's the book synopsis:

Most children think twice before braving a haunted wood filled with terrifying beasties to match wits with a witch, but not Masha. Her beloved grandma taught her many things: that stories are useful, that magic is fickle, and that nothing is too difficult or too dirty to clean. The fearsome witch of folklore needs an assistant, and Masha needs an adventure. She may be clever enough to enter Baba Yaga's house on chicken legs, but within its walls, deceit is the rule. To earn her place, Masha must pass a series of tests, outfox a territorial bear, and make dinner for her host. No easy task, with children on the menu! 

Ah, but there's more. As one Goodreads reviewer wrote "It is about families, about mourning, about death, about finding a place you belong, yes, this book made me sad, it made my happy, it made me feel a whole lot."

This book is illustrated by Emily Carroll who has done many other haunting books we all need to check out. Marika McCoola (best name ever) is also an accomplished artist and I'm going to post a few photos from her gallery. You should check out McCoola's website to see more.

McCoola 3-D Mixed Media
McCoola 3-D Mixed Media
McCoola Sculpture
McCoola Sculpture
McCoola Sculpture

You can order a signed copy of Baba Yaga's Assistant from a great independent bookstore called Porter Square Books in Cambridge, MA. This would make a great All Hallow's Read gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment