Monday, October 12, 2015

In The Shadow of Blackbirds


Halloween is just three weeks away! I'm simultaneously experiencing excitement and loss that it's going too quickly. Well, to slow things down a bit, I'm suggesting that we all participate in All Hallow's Read started by author Neil Gaiman back in 2010. Here's what Gaiman said in a blog post:

"I propose that, on Hallowe'en or during Hallowe'en week, we give each other scary books. Give children scary books that they'll like and can handle. Give adults scary books they'll enjoy."

It's that simple. I've started doing this and it's fun choosing books for people.  So this week, I'm going to focus the blog on some scary books I've liked and ones I want to read.  Maybe you'll get inspired to read one yourself or buy it for someone else.

I'm starting off the week with In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters. I found this book by accident when I went on to Overdrive to download an ebook from my library. In the Shadow of Blackbirds was featured as The Big Read October selection. Everyone can download it and read it for free through their own library!

Let me just say, I couldn't put this book down. It's not super scary, but it does involve ghosts and Spiritualism and I did gasp a few times.

What I loved about this book, was the strong young woman who is the central character, the fascinating history of the 1918 Spanish American flu which terrorized the entire country during World War I, and the discussion of the afterlife.

This book kept me interested because it touches on so many different themes including women's rights, the mental anguish of soldiers, and how patriotism is used as a weapon during times of war. I'm still thinking about all the themes days after finishing.

This book is suitable for teens and adults.

Check out the author's website too.


No comments:

Post a Comment