Thursday, October 15, 2015

A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie


So, a few weeks ago I was listening to NPR (favorite) and Science Friday was on. I kind of like listening to Science Friday because the host's voice is a bit Kermit-the-frogish. Although I don't consider myself to be a "science person", the show often has interesting pieces for non-science people like me.

Like this particular friday; a few weeks ago. The subject was a discussion of a new book by Kathryn Harkup called A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie. You can hear the story from Science Friday right here.

Harkup is a former research chemist and decided to explain the science behind each of the poisons that Agatha Christie uses to knock off her characters. Fun! Each chapter of A is for Arsenic looks at a different book.

Goodreads says "Fact- and fun-packed, A is for Arsenic looks at why certain chemicals kill, how they interact with the body, and the feasibility of obtaining, administering, and detecting these poisons, both when Christie was writing and today."

I haven't read this book yet, but I'm going to! I love the intrigue of poison as a murder weapon. It's so elegant. Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment