Friday, September 11, 2020

Pink & Red & Macabre: coolcatkmart

I was probably in middle school and we were on our annual family trip to the Adirondack Mountains. As I recall (and I do have a horrible memory so this could have been a dream) I walked out to the dock wearing white shorts, a pink top, and a shiny red vinyl belt and my fashion conscious sister told me in no uncertain terms that pink and red don't go together. How can that be?! They're different shades of the same color! Someone else once told me that two blues in a watercolor I was painting didn't go together either. It blows my mind. 

Maybe that's why the instant I saw the painted canvas pennants from coolcatkmart (Kaitlin Martin) I couldn't stop looking at them. The entire shop is pink and red and spooky. The pennants are bold and groovy, and the drawings are eerily romantic. I think I need a pink and red room in our house. I think I need one of these pennants.

Pink & Black Moth Pennant
Bat Original Painting
Edward Gorey Lady Pennant
Pink Witch Original Drawing
Ghoul Pennant
Ouija Board

By the way, this artist is listed on Witchsy, the Etsy alternative site created in 2017. I'm ashamed to say I just discovered it. It's small, but has lots of quirky, dark art that you should check out. You should also know that it was started by Penelope Gazin and Kate Dwyer who had to pretend that a man was the head of the company in order to get financial backing. You'll also find Kaitlin Martin's work on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment