Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Eyes Have It, Fiona Roberts

I've been holding the work of Fiona Roberts in my back pocket for awhile. Not literally, of course. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to feature her eyeball chair, which I love and find rather humorous, or her artwork as a whole which I have to admit I find rather unsettling. When I scroll through Roberts' website, I find myself clicking past some images very quickly. That is what art is supposed to do isn't it? Art should bring up thoughts and emotions which we might not have considered before or even wanted to consider.

Still, it may not be something you want to look at while you're quietly enjoying your cup of coffee this morning. So, go to Fiona Roberts' website and look around when you're ready. You won't be disappointed.

In the meantime, the reason Roberts' chair first caught my eye (ha!) was that I love anatomical furniture. So much so that I'm going to make a label for it so you can follow it through the blog.

Here is the full picture of Fiona Roberts' Scopophilia (official title).

And now, a taste of her other work. I like this piece called Inspection.
I think this sums up her work for me. It's not the gore that I find unsettling it is the cool, quiet detachment. Hmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment