Friday, January 9, 2015

A Haunted Home of my Own

It happened quite unexpectedly- a simple text message on a cold, dark evening. "Do you already have the dollhouse? I don't have a hospital bed with straps to go with, but I have a dollhouse...."

And so I came into possession (possibly literally- that will remain to be seen) of/by a 1940's Colonial Revival dollhouse last weekend. The owner, who wishes to remain anonymous, can not imagine how overjoyed I am at the possibilities.

I had been thinking of creating an miniature asylum, but this house doesn't lend itself to that scenario. After a restless night of sleep, I think I'm going to create a funeral parlor on the first floor and a lounge for dead spirits on the second floor. That is the direction I'm heading in today.

First, I'm going to undertake (ha!) repairing the structure of the building. Every good historic preservationist knows you must start with the roof and windows. But I can't wait to get my hands on the interior. For a person with degrees in historic preservation and interior design, I can't believe I haven't come to this sooner. I may have found my purpose.


Wish me luck. I can feel my credit card vibrating in my pocket with excitement. I'll keep you posted as the project progresses. First I have to get the cat out of the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment