Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Spooky TV Series For You To Watch

I'm sure that you have a list of spooky movies that you watch every year as part of your Halloween tradition. I'm on the side of watching things that are spooky, but not chain-saw violent. I find there is enough real violence in the world to worry about without going looking for more. So on my list you'll find ghosts and mysteries. I'd like to recommend a a couple of series I've watched in the last year that you might like too.


  • The Secret of Crickley Hall (2012): I just finished watching this 3 episode mini-series from the BBC. It's streaming on Amazon Prime right now and I loved that I could watch it over three nights and still get to bed- frightened- at a decent time. (Did I mention I fall into the early to bed, early to rise category?)  The story revolves around a family who's son goes missing and as the one-year anniversary of his possible abduction draws closer they decide to move out to the country for a few months to try to find some peace. What they get is a house full of orphan children ghosts with evil, orphanage-manager ghosts that have a mystery of their own. At least once an episode I had to turn my head or put at least one hand over one eye out of fear. Maisie Williams, better known as Arya Stark on Game of Thrones, plays the responsible teen daughter.  
  • Black Spot (2017): Black Spot was made as a French-Belgium TV series and called Zone Blanche (Which actually means white zone- go figure.) Yep, you're going to have to read subtitles, but I promise it's worth it. The series takes place in a small, isolated town and starts with a woman found hanging from a tree in the forest that surrounds the town. The forest is treated as a character in the series and it's mysterious, dark, and very spooky. Odd things happen there. The series revolves around the female police chief who tries to solve the murders which pile up and her own personal mystery of what happened to her in the forest when she was a teen- she has a missing finger on one hand because of it. Something lives in the forest and this series keeps you guessing.
  • Beau Séjour (2016): Now that you're a pro at sub-titles, I have one more for you. I love this series for how it made me consider what it might be like to be a ghost. The series starts with a young woman waking up in a hotel room to discover her own dead body on a bed. She has no memory of what happened to her and realizes she is a ghost. A few people in town can see and communicate with her and that only deepens the mystery of how she died. I watched this almost a year ago and it has stuck with me. Even the theme song runs through my head to this day! This is more of a mystery than a fright fest, but the aspect of a ghost as the main character means you'll want to watch it.
I'm preparing my list of what I'm going to watch this October that I'll share with you in a few days. In the meantime, you might want to check out this post by fellow Halloween blogger Mr. & Mrs. Halloween for a review of Hulu's Halloween offerings.


No comments:

Post a Comment