Monday, September 29, 2014

Rogue Taxidermy Meet Hazel

A few months ago, some friends talked me into taking a taxidermy class. This workshop seemed much more adventurous than those paint and drink workshops so I gingerly signed up as a birthday present to myself. The class I took was rogue taxidermy where the parts of two animals are joined together. We weren't concerned with authenticity, we were putting wings on a mouse. You can thank those crazy Victorians for this revived art.

Before I go any further, the mice in this workshop were already dead. I didn't not and would not kill a live animal. Taxidermists do not kill animals for the sake of art. The animals have already passed on to another life. I consider this a way to honor their former life.

My instructor was Katie Innamorato. She was wonderful and you can check out her website Afterlife Anatomy. She is currently a taxidermist at the Morbid Anatomy Museum in Brooklyn- one of my favorite places. She gives workshops around the country and I highly recommend her.

I will spare you the more gruesome photos of Hazel being created. That's what I call my sweet winged mouse. Suffice to say, I never in my wildest dreams imagined I could ever flay an animal, but in the event of a zombie apocalypse, I'm glad I now know how to do it correctly. I will say that the class was very fun. Yes, I said fun. I was also fascinated by seeing how a body is put together. It truly is a wonder. Would I do it again? Perhaps.
This is Hazel where she now resides in her new home. My cats are very curious, but she is well protected. I intend to give her a few more accessories. I think I'll change them seasonally. I'm on the look out for a little pumpkin for her to hold.

After having done this little project, I have a great deal of respect for large animal taxidermy like the ones you see in natural history museums. The time and skill required are huge.

If you'd like to learn more, check out The Art of Taxidermy by Jane Eastoe and Polly Morgan.

2 comments:

  1. I love this so much! Just stumbled upon your blog--very entertaining! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's always great to meet a fellow Halloween lover.

      Delete