Wednesday, September 10, 2014

How to Cook Children

I keep the tongue-in-cheek "How to Cook Children: A Grisly Recipe Book" by Martin Howard and Colin Stimpson on my kitchen counter year-round. It prevents guests from asking if they can stay for dinner and makes their children a little more cautious around me.

Written like an actual cookbook, it can be a bit gruesome. In a recipe for Enfant aux Escargots et Grenouilles, the instructions read "Take your enfant and carefully peel it, making sure to scrape off any bruises or spots it may have." Just typing that was a bit hard for me to stomach. I felt like I should wear a hat pulled low on my head and hide in a dark corner while reading this book. At times it is a bit uncomfortable, but I found myself giggling throughout. The illustrations are great.

Some of the recipes included:
Cajun Cherub Gumbo
Pie-Ella
Deepfried Small Fry with Fries
Baked Alaskan
Flat Jacks

Read at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment