Tuesday, September 16, 2014

All Hallows' Read

You have most likely already heard of All Hallows' Read, being the educated spooky people I know you to be. Let this serve as a reminder. Author Neil Gaiman began a campaign a few years ago to create a new tradition of giving scary books to kids and adults during the week of Halloween. There is even a website, All Hallows' Read, describing the event and giving some book suggestions.

I've been doing this for my niece every year and yes, myself too. I must buy a new spooky book every Halloween. I usually choose beautifully illustrated children's books for my collection.

I'm trying to come up with a way to incorporate this into my trick-or-treat candy for the kids who show up at my door. I don't think I can write my own story, but I did find this great book of kid-appropriate short stories that is called "Half-Minute Horrors." Each story is only a few paragraphs long and all are written by various well-known authors including Neil Gaiman. Perhaps I can slip one of these stories in with the treats and a link to the All Hallows' Read website. I love the idea of All Hallows Read. Nothing is scarier than our imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment