Friday, October 1, 2021

October 1st: It Begins!

I woke up this morning to a chilly house. The living room thermostat said it was 63 degrees inside. Perfect. Can you imagine how disappointed I would be if I woke up on October 1st in a muggy, hot house? Well, I'd be miserable. Right now I'm so excited for all the Halloween traditions: mugs of cider, warm cinnamon donuts, and pumpkins everywhere! 

I sometimes get asked about what I do for Halloween and while I have a few traditions it really depends on what regional activities are taking place. I try to experience new things every year. If you live in the southern New England region, you might see me at one of these events I'm eyeing.

  • Beer Tasting at Mike's Maze in Sunderland, MA - believe it or not, I've never been to a maze! Mike's Maze is supposed to be one of the best in the country and now they have a beer tasting aspect as you wander through the corn maze. Well, I can't resist that.
  • Curioporium in Hartford, CT - This immersive theatrical experience opened last Spring and is a 90 minute tour of the curiosities and peculiarities of the fictitious Haversham family. I've had this in my sight for some time and have been waiting for October for my first visit. Tickets are limited so I'd better get moving on this one.
  • Salem Night Faire in Salem, MA - this event is presented by The Black Veil Tattoo Studio and I've been wanting to attend for several years. It takes place after dark at the Olde Salem Village. It has shopping, ghost stories, and a bier garden. What's not to love?
  • Spooky Saturday markets seem to be a thing at Mill No. 5 in Lowell, MA. There is one every weekend in October and I really need to make it over there to see the rehabbed mill with shops, food, and even a theater. 
That's four weekends right there! Yikes.

Two non-site specific events I plan to participate in are:
  • Notebook of Ghost's October Reading Challenge. Read 13 books or 31 short stories in the month of October and share what you're reading with the hashtag #31SpookyStories on IG. Sian Ellis provided cute downloadable progress sheets to keep track of what you've read. I'm going to try to complete both challenges. So, don't disturb me when I'm reading. There will be no test at the end.
  • The Great Pumpkin Project is such a wonderful idea. I've been promoting it for a few years now and participating in a limited way. The challenge for this project is to carve pumpkins and leave them mysteriously around town. I usually only participate the week before Halloween, but this year I may try to do more. You won't believe the joy you'll get out of doing this...really. Tag your pumpkins on IG @greatpumpkinproject and view the amazing places people leave their jack-o'-lanterns.
Finally, someone in my town has declared themself the King of Halloween (the nerve!) and started a Facebook group to challenge my fellow residents in some Halloween decorating contests. I'm all in! I really think the town needs a Halloween parade- we have one for everything else. I may just declare myself the Queen of Halloween. Watch this bat channel for my entries.

I hope you have your Halloween agenda packed with fun activities, but remember, don't stress about it. In the words of Mr. Burton 

"Everyday is Halloween isn't it? For some of us."


If you're in the area and want to meet me at any of these events, message me on IG @shiversdelight.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a fantastic photo!

    Love the idea behind The Great Pumpkin project. This is, I believe, the first time I've caught wind of it. What a creative, festive way to spread the cheer of jack-o-lanterns all the more.

    Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete