Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Charlie Brown & Halloween

What is Halloween without It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown? Really, I can't fathom it. It's been shown on the ABC network for 53 years! In fact, I think that 25 minutes of Halloween fun and anxiety has done as much to keep the holiday alive as anything. It first aired on October 27, 1966 - 54 years ago today. I was 2 years old then, so it's possible that I saw the very first airing and like to think that I did. Let's just say I did.


I strongly suspect that we still have Halloween parties, bob for apples (at least think about it?), go trick-or-treating, and even wait for The Great Pumpkin because of Charles Schultz. How many times have you said "I got a rock"?  It's been ingrained in our psyche. 

That's why everyone is just a tad upset that Apple TV has purchased the exclusive rights to the Halloween special (and Thanksgiving and Christmas specials as well) and it will only be airing on their platform. It will be free to watch for everyone October 30 - November 1st on Apple TV this year, but what then? Will we eventually forget about it? It makes me a little sad. It seems like it should be public property by now.

I for one will be watching It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown tonight because I purchased the video a few years ago.  And, I'll watch it on Apple TV this weekend too just to let them know it's important.

The Ninth Day of Halloween is for Charlie Brown. Dance in place with your arms over your head to Halloween music this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment