Monday, May 13, 2019

Dark Art at the Corning Glass Museum

My husband and I had a birthday vacation this past weekend and had the opportunity to go to the Corning Glass Museum in Corning, New York one very rainy morning. I wasn't looking to get a blog post out of the trip, but there was so much dark, gothic art there that I just had to show you some of the amazing pieces made from glass. We spend three hours at the museum and didn't see everything. Go, if you get the chance to visit.


Tantric Objects by Bernard Schobinger
This piece caught my eye immediately. It's a necklace made from the bottoms of glass bottles. The artist is Bernard Schobinger and if you look closely at the top square the word GIFT is engraved there. The description explains that in English the word gift means "present" but in German the word means "poison." The artist said that the skulls are symbols of emptiness and the illusion of reality."

While you Were Sleeping by Christina Bothwell
Un Parfait, From the Darkside Collection by Philippe Stark
Serpentine Candlesticks by Jeff Zimmerman
Triscosta Cabinet by Christophe Côme

To Die Upon a Kiss by Fred Wilson
I Saw Othello's Visage in His Mind by Fred Wilson
Nocturne 5 "Contemplation of the idea of night" by Karen LaMonte
The Murmur of Bees by Michael Rogers
13 Crows by Michael Rogers
Watching Woman by Rebecca Salsbury James
Skulls Bowl by Paul Marioni
Witch Pot by Laura Donefer
Astarte by Robert Carlson
These are just some of the amazing pieces we saw. I realized how vastly ignorant I am of glass artists as none of the artists' names were familiar to me. I need to rectify that. I hope these pieces inspire you to learn more about glass art too.

No comments:

Post a Comment