Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Night Gardener

I love a good ghost story whether it's meant for children or adults. I just finished reading The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier. The story is about two young orphans, brother and sister, who find work as servants in an secluded English manor that is practically encased by a giant tree. As the family living in the house becomes ill the young servants realize that a malevolent night gardener sneaks into the house each night to steal from the family. I won't give more away, but this is a story about greed and the ill it brings.

This book is a quick read and most likely written for a younger audience, but I enjoyed it very much. It had just enough of the creepy factor to send chills up my back as I read it. Part fairy tale and part gothic horror story that teaches an important lesson, this would make a nice gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment