Monday, December 8, 2014

It's Time to Talk About the Krampus

I know I'm about a week late on this one, but I just wasn't ready to talk about the biggest improvement to hit this country's Christmas in years. Sure, we've been slowly introduced to the idea of punishing bad children in the current climate of "everyone is a winner" through the gentle tattletale Elf on the Shelf. It's time to notch it up a bit. Krampus will kick the ass out of Elf on the Shelf and he doesn't need a dark alley to do it.

Mark my words, Krampus is going to start showing up everywhere. We're great at absorbing other culture's traditions here. Eight years ago I couldn't find any appropriate decorations for my Day of the Dead party and now you can find them at Walmart and Target. Next year, Krampus is going to make a break for it. You know he'll have made it here when he is a balloon at the Macy's Day Parade. I'll even get a t.v. for that one.

I'm not going to go into the history of Krampus here. If you don't know about it you'd better start Googling. I declare this week will be Krampus week at Shivers of Delight. Prepare yourself.

I'll leave you with some images to contemplate. These are from, you guessed it, the Victorian era. Really, society should have just ended. The Victorians were perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment