Friday, November 10, 2017

The Coffin Cat Bed

Well, it's finally happened. If you've been following this blog for awhile, you'll know that I've been wanting to make a cat bed out of a coffin. At first, I though a wicker casket would be nice and cozy, but then realized that the cats would probably shred it to bits. I searched antique stores and markets for a coffin that was affordable and sturdy and this September you may remember that I finally found a small, four-foot coffin at Brimfield.


This week I had some time on my hands and decided to make my coffin cat bed a reality. I purchased a can of Behr's Fall Foliage paint and five wood-turned-legs and got busy.

1st of 3 coats of Behr Fall Foliage paint
A little semi-gloss black paint on the legs
5 lovely feet attached to the coffin
Scooter helps me position the new cat bed

The sign of approval came when our alpha cat, Tonka, tried out the bed first. He was quite pleased.
Steps (made by my father-in-law for me to use in the kitchen) were added for our senior cats.
Scotter and Cotton enjoyed the bed for a few hours.
This morning, JoJo settled in for her first nap of the day.
I'm pleased as punch at how this turned out. Of course, my dreams of ever being featured in a home decorating magazine have finally been squelched. I think this may exceed the boundaries of good taste.  If your wondering about the beautiful lid to this coffin, fear not. It will be hung on the wall over our family altar. I'm sure it will show up as a photo on this blog eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment