Monday, October 30, 2017

Devil's Night

It's October 30th. Most people just call it the night before Halloween, but in some regions of the US and in some areas of the world it's known as Mischief Night, Cabbage Night, or Devil's Night among other names. The festivities get divided into two nights- one for tricks and one for treats.

I've never seen any signs of mischief in the areas I've lived, but the 30th is supposedly the night to cover a tree or house with toilet paper, egging cars, and smashing pumpkins. It's a bit mean-spirited for me, but I like traditions, so I'm offering you the devil.  It's kind of interesting, though, if you think about it, that my husband and I got married on Mischief Night.

Pair of Late 19th Century Devil/Satyr Lamps from Uxor
(this would make a great anniversary gift by the way)
1960's Devil Coffee Cups from Uxor
Bronze Devil Opener from AuBonEndroit
Devil Ashtray from TheImpInTheAttic
Devil Porcelain Tobacco Jar from Uxor
Devil Stein from TheYearDot
Devil Cup from SadRosetta
Vintage Metal Cracker Jack Devil Toy from PortalsOfTimeVintage
Vintage Devil Costume from MoonBabyWaresSalem
Devil Ashtray from RussianOldThings
Vintage Devil Lantern from exploremag
Vintage Devil Salt Shaker from AuntHattiesAttic
I can't believe I haven't started an antique collection of devils in honor of our marriage. It makes sense to me that since this is our 14th year of marriage (edit: My husband just reminded me we've only been married 13 years- it seems so much longer than that!) I should have at least 14 13 pieces by now. I'd better get shopping.


No comments:

Post a Comment