Thursday, June 25, 2015

Gris Grimly: Macabre Artist for the Child Within

It's hard to believe that Gris Grimly hasn't made an appearance in this blog till now. As an artist who has created books, videos, and movies in the whimsical-sinister style I love so much, there is so much to say that I have not known how to condense it. Gris Grimly's FaceBook post yesterday that he has illustrated Ray Bradbury's Halloween Tree was just the push I needed. It's being released in August.


If you're not familiar with Gris Grimly, it's easiest to start with the numerous "children's" books he has illustrated and in some cases written. I put "children's" in quotation marks because many young children may be frightened by them. These are children's books that parents and kids over 7 years will love to read. I'm certain you'll want to start with the  Neil Gaiman and Gris Grimly collaboration The Dangerous Alphabet.

The Mad Creator Productions website has a shop where you can purchase books, art prints, film products, clothing, and accessories. (You must check out the women's skull shoes.) Sure, you can buy his books everywhere, but isn't it nice to purchase directly from the artist?

Art prints are also available from the Van Eaton Galleries. Here is a sample of his work.

Nina Esqueleto
Lure
The Dangerous Alphabet

Frankenstein
Tales of Death and Dementia
Santa Claws

3 comments:

  1. Another fantastic post! Please consider creating a Shivers of Delight Tumblr blog. Halloween, and all things creepy, are dearly loved by Tumblr users, and I would love to share all your wonderful posts with my followers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't used Tumblr. I'll play around with it this weekend. I'm always looking for a way to reach fellow Halloween lovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I replied exactly 12 hours later. That must be some sort of sign, right?

      Delete