Monday, May 31, 2021

Artists Honor Death: Macabre Mix Monday

On this Memorial Day in the United States, I can't help but think about those who have died to protect others and it brings up uncomfortable thoughts. Let's be real- the thought of death is scary because it's the unknown. In this country at least we don't talk about death very well. It's something we like to ignore. I don't know if it's even possible to be totally comfortable with mortality, but we can try to find beauty and maybe some humor in it don't you think? 

Many artists create pieces with a memento mori theme.  I think they're trying to help us all be a little more accepting of death in a positive way and the joy that remembrance can bring.

This ceramic skull piece is a collaboration of Jon White and his wife Beth. It represents her memories of teenage life in rural Maine. Click the link to check out all the details in this piece.

Nineteen Eight Seven from Oddinq

This inexpensive brooch caught my eye for it's swinging angel winged skeleton in a coffin. It's rather unusual, don't you think?
Memento Mori Brooch from Psychic Circle

I love the shape and details in this ceramic mug by Trevor Foster. It's so very elegant and I can imagine drinking steaming coffee from it while contemplating death- in a positive way, of course.
Skull Mug from Trevor Foster Studio

I like this embroidered t-shirt for it's subtleness. 
Memento Mori Embroidered T-shirt from Saintwave

This silver skull bangle is to die for (sorry). I just love that it has a message that only you will know about.
Silver Skull Memento Mori Bangle from Sue Gray Jewelry

The quiet beauty of this ceramic bowl with a buried skeleton just tugs at my heart.
Memento Mori Bowl from Swenwares

Gorgeous! This would be beautiful in the garden.
Skull Ceramic Tile from Kest Pottery

As you look at these pieces, I hope you'll think about how you would like to be remembered.

1 comment:

  1. I swear I let out the biggest gasps of the week when I visit your blog, dear heart. What a stunning array of memento mori related items you've currted for us this week. The dangling brooch in particular just jumped to the top of my wishlist (and who knows, with my b-day less than a month away, maybe I might be able to add it to my life in the near future - here's to hoping! :))

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete