Friday, December 8, 2017

Lizzie Borden Revisited

Yep, I've just finished reading another book about Lizzie Borden and the murder of her father and stepmother. Published in August of this year, See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt, is a fast-moving, fictional account of the days surrounding the murders. I know what you're thinking because I said it myself: "Really? Another book about Lizzie Borden? What is there new to say?"  The novel sat on my nightstand for several days because I just couldn't get up the energy to go through it all again. But then I decided to read just the first page. After that I couldn't put it down.

I liked this book very much. Each chapter is relayed through the viewpoint of either Lizzie, her sister Emma, the servant Bridgett, or Benjamin - a fictional character that adds a twist to the story. Benjamin is used to explore one of the existing but little discussed theories of the murders that they were orchestrated by Lizzie's Uncle John. We know in fact that Uncle John arrived unexpectedly the day before the murders with no luggage and was away during the the time of the murders, but his actions afterwards have always raised questions in my mind.

Most of the novel takes place the day before and the day of the murders. Schmidt stays close to the facts but adds the heightened tension and instability in the household through each of the characters thoughts. I was definitely on edge while reading Lizzie's almost psychotic thoughts, Emma's feelings of entrapment and suspicion of Lizzie, and Bridgett's fear of the family and her longing to leave the household. Benjamin is also a troubled character and his thoughts provide us with motive and an outsider's view of the family.

Will this be the novel to end all future novels of the Borden murders? Absolutely not. Does it wrap everything up nicely?  Well, no, but would you really want it to? What I find satisfying in any novel is when it raises questions that keep me thinking for days. This is one of those novels. It also makes me want to go back and read through the court transcripts. I just can't stop wondering.

If you want to read other posts about Lizzie Borden just type "Borden" into the search box on the right. I visited her house this summer and have revisited the murders several times over the last few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment