Thursday, August 31, 2017

Nostalgic Halloween Folk Art

Sometimes I try to bring up my earliest memory of Halloween. I really do have a horrible memory, and all I get are flashes of being with my cousins on a dark street and a grocery bag full of candy. The next memory I have is of building a giant top hat out of cardboard (I was the rabbit underneath the walking top hat.) I can't help feeling nostalgic about Halloween as fewer and fewer children go trick-or-treating in the neighborhood each year.

There is something in Carol Roll's mixed-media pieces that bring back those memories for me. Created by hand with paper maché and bits of this and that her sculptures make me laugh and yearn for days gone by. Roll is having a sale in her shop, Nostalgic Folk Art, this month. Pick up a memory while you can.

Halloween Ghoul Scarecrow
Witch with Scaredy Cat
Halloween Scarecrow
A Witch and Her Pet Krampus
Hex Witch
Little Spooky Scarecrow
These are so precious. I think I could create a bunch of new Halloween memories just looking at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment