Thursday, August 10, 2017

New Gothic Expressionistic Style

Wikipedia says that New Gothic is a contemporary art movement that emphasizes darkness and horror. I hadn't heard this term, I'm embarrassed to admit, until artist Shelley Jamaine described her work as New Gothic Expressionistic. Well, I'm happy to have a name for the rise in spooky art I've been seeing over the last several years.

But let's talk about Shelley Jamaine. I saw her paintings and my jaw dropped. No sound came out, but that's because I had just put a cookie in my mouth. It's a weird juxtaposition that I love dark art and a macabre atmosphere and also love- absolutely love- vibrant color. My house is filled with color.  I get Jamaine. Her use of color is psychedelic and yet her imagery is full of skulls and ectoplasm-like swirls. Why does the afterlife have to be dark and cold? Jamaine shows it's full of energy- bright, beautiful energy.

Purchase her work at Shelley Jamaine Art.

New Gothic Psychedelic Series
Abstract Mexican Folk Painting Series
Abstract Mexican Folk Painting Series
New Gothic Psychedelic Series
Creepy Forest
Mexican Day of the Dead

I feel like a kid in a candy shop with five dollars. Jamaine's art makes me so happy! She is also selling her work at Folksy (another new one for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment