Monday, April 27, 2015

Feast Day of Saint Zita

Christian Feast Days are not necessarily spooky unless they include the mummified body of the saint brought out for the people to touch. And, when using the word spooky, I mean thrilling. Ok, that was a little misleading. I think you can only touch the glass. Still pretty cool.

Saint Zita
Saint Betina Zita's body lies in Lucca, Italy at the Basilica di San Frediano. You can visit her whenever the church is open. Saint Zita's Feast Day (Festival of the Flowers) falls on her death, April 27th.

Saint Zita was a servant known for giving away her own and her master's food and clothing to the poor. Several miracles occurred when she was in the process of "donating" to the poor. When questioned about what she was hiding in her skirts (bread for the poor) flowers tumbled from her skirts and the bread was nowhere to be seen. In another instance angels were seen making the bread she was instructed to make while she was out tending to the poor. On Saint Zita's Feast Day bread and flowers are the main attraction.

Curiously though, Saint Zita is the saint you pray to if you have lost your keys. I have a reputation for not exactly losing my keys, but locking myself out of my house. In effect, my keys are lost to me. So, Saint Zita may be just the patron saint I've been looking for. What's curious is that I have never read any stories about her finding keys. I guess that's one of the Catholic mysteries.


No comments:

Post a Comment