Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dressed for Surgery?

I'm not sure where I would wear one of Rachel Wright's delicate and head-turning dresses. Perhaps when I win the lottery and fulfill my dream to wear a ball gown everyday I will tweak my policy to include artistic dresses.

In her artist's statement, Wright explains her Dream Anatomy dresses by saying "Early anatomical illustrations are often a mixture of correct and incorrect assumptions. Some artists rely on metaphor rather than verisimilitude." Using recycled slips and nightgowns, the dresses are reworked to bring the inside out. Wright says "I am playing with the line between the public and the private arenas."

Diafragma
Pneuma
World Year Man
Scapular (back)

The Blood Countess dress is inspired by a 16th century Hungarian countess who murdered young girls and bathed in their blood. The dress is made of used white leather gloves. This dress is available for sale on Wright's Etsy site Toolgrrl (where you can also find some of her dream anatomy dresses.)

Blood Countess
This would make a stunning ball gown for when I'm gardening.
Hela Cell Dress
<insert heavy sigh here>  Perhaps someday I'll own one of these lovely pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment