Monday, March 15, 2021

Gorey-esque

I'm thinking about Edward Gorey this week. He died on April 15, 2000. (note: um, I just realized this is March, not April, but let's go with it anyway.) I don't know anyone who doesn't appreciate Gorey's macabre drawings- so whimspookal. His little books are a delight to read over and over again and someday (when I win the lottery) I'll start buying first editions.  Many have been inspired by Gorey and this week I have some art to show you that is Gorey-esque. By the way, if you haven't read Born to be Poshumous: The Eccentric Life and Mysterious Genius of Edward Gorey by Mark Dery, well, what are you waiting for?

Serpent Illustration Print from James McPhee Art

Original Drawing, Spring Thaw by Landis Blair

Edward Gorey Shadow Box from Creepy Christine

Gorey Inspired Holiday Card- customized for your family from Epic On Demand
Personalized Gashlycrumb Tinies Drawing from Epic On Demand
Personalized Gorey Style Family Portrait from Katkaland Shop

Edward Gorey At Home print from Vivstrauss

The thing I find most lovable about Gorey is the way he fantasized the macabre but lived a quiet life at home with his cats. Something we can all aspire to.

You can also read about the time I visited the exhibit Gorey's Worlds in Hartford, CT or the Tiger Lillies' album about Edward Gorey to find out a little bit more about him.

2 comments:

  1. Thoroughly marvelous Gorey inspired finds. The custom family portrait caught my eye in particular. Thank you very much for sharing these splendid creations with us.

    Autumn Zenith �� Witchcrafted Life

    PS: My mind is also leaping ahead to April some days. I think it's because I'm eager to finally embrace springtime weather again. Winter started all the way back in mid-October here (effectively giving us only a month of autumn weather and foliage), and while I favour the cooler half of the year for many reasons, it will be a welcome treat to step outdoors again soon without the very real risk of frostbite and the need to shovel snow like we're training for an Olympic sport. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely wishing away March! I hate the wind blowing my hair every which (witch?) way. I call this the Miserable Season (Jan 15- April 15)- it's followed by the Lovely Season. So we'll be in the clear soon.

      Delete