Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Vegetarian Taxidermy

You may recall that a few years ago I took a taxidermy class. It was something I had never considered doing, but, with prodding from a friend, I thought it might make a good story later (it has) and I now have Hazel- my taxidermy flying mouse. You can see pictures of her from my blog post.

The most important thing I learned is how long and difficult it is to create a fine work of taxidermy. It is not for the squeamish either. There were a few times in my tiny piece where I had to disassociate for a minute to take the next step.

If you've been interested in taxidermy, but can't quite get past the notion of having a dead animal in your house I've got a solution for you. Beth Hart makes faux taxidermy pieces that are delightful. Her shop is called Floozey and it's filled with organs and bones made of felt. Yep, pretty cool.

Rat Skeleton
Half Mouse- Half Skeleton
Owl Skull
Two-headed Pug Skeleton
Be Antisocial With Me Anatomical Heart
Bird Skull
These pieces make me smile. I love the idea of creating cold skeletons from something as warm and comforting as felt.

And now for a service announcement:
In case you haven't noticed, tomorrow is the beginning of what I call the Thirteen Days of Halloween. It's time to get serious, put down your scissors, and start enjoying our favorite holiday. As part of my celebration, I'll be posting everyday- that means Saturdays and Sundays too- till Halloween with the things that inspire me. You'll also gets lots of photos of my collection and decor. 

Here we go!!


No comments:

Post a Comment