Monday, November 1, 2021

We Did it!

Wow! What a whirlwind. For some reason, this Halloween seemed even more difficult than last year. I think it's because Covid drags on (get vaccinated!!) and we're drained of energy. I went from not caring to panicking and packing in activities almost weekly. While I decorated, there are still many things sitting in the basement unused. I feel bad about that. Those Halloween pieces never got to have their moment in the moonlight. Next year.

Which brings me to an important message. That last week before Halloween I usually have lots of "I should of" moments. Write them down now and put them in a safe place and pull them back out next August or September. I keep my list on my phone so I can look at it and decide if I can prepare some things earlier. You can thank me later. My best ideas always come when it's too late to make them happen.

Something I am proud I completed was Notebook of Ghosts' 31 Spooky Stories Challenge. There were actually 2 alternate challenges. You could choose whether to read 31 spooky short stories or 13 spooky novels. I read spooky novels all year long so I immediately decided to partake in the 31 spooky short stories challenge. One: I have lots of short stories that I love and wanted to reread and two: I knew that things get hectic and it would be easier for me to read a short story every evening before bed. But then I had a real inspiration and decided that I would also try to listen to 13 different spooky podcasts. Podcasts are something I haven't really been able to latch on to. I want to, but finding the time to sit down and listen has been a challenge. If I were driving to work every day that would have made it easier, but I work from home these days. 

And I did it! I listened to the last two podcasts in between trick-or-treaters last night which was pretty spooky as I was sitting on the porch by myself. I have to admit the last few short stories I read were children's books, but they're favorites of mine I have in my collection. 

A new one I purchased this year isn't really spooky, but talks to kids about honoring a pet who has died in a light and humorous way. It's called The End of Something Wonderful: A Practical Guide to a Backyard Funeral by Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic and illustrated by George Ermos. There is nothing about religion here. There isn't really any talk about the afterlife. It more about honoring death and those who have died. I loved it.


Wondering what I read and listened too? Here you go-



Did I have any favorites? Well, sure! In short stories, I started off and ended the challenge with two of my favorites: The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde and The Homecoming by Ray Bradbury. In between I mixed new and classic stories. I enjoyed them all, but W.S. by L.P. Harley, Harry by Rosemary Timperly, The Upper Berth by F. Marion Crawford, Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving, In Agatha Craggins' Defense by John McIlveen, and The Lost Boy of the Ozarks by Steve Friedman really stuck with me.

I really enjoyed listening to all the podcasts. I plan to go back and listen to more episodes. I can't say I have a favorite here- I really liked them all. I hope that Dark House with Alyssa Fiorentino and Hadley Mendelsohn continues past October. 

By the way, Notebook of Ghosts provided the list templates on her website- I altered one to make it about podcasts.

If you haven't listed to Halloween Art and Travel with Kristen Stafford then you're missing a great behind the scenes look at many wonderful Halloween artists. And, I'm not just saying that because I was honored to be a guest on episode 35- released last week! Kristen has a way of chatting with her guests that puts them at ease and it seems like they're having a private conversation over coffee. I think you'll enjoy listening to the episodes even if you don't know the artists. You'll want to find out more about them. 

If you'd like to hear me excitedly talk about why I love Halloween head to the episode by clicking on the photo.

That's all for now. I hope to post some photos I took of our house in the next week. Hope you had a wonderful Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment