Tuesday, July 6, 2021

My Abandoned Cemetery Garden

I keep thinking that my husband and I need to purchase some tombstones for our backyard garden. 

When we moved into our house 17 years ago, the backyard was a sloping area of mown grass. Having moved from the south where I loved to garden, and watching my husband continuously mow the unused area, I realized that we were going to need to create something interesting here. After one landscape architect and a lot of dirt moving and plant buying I've ended up with a design I didn't even know I craved- the abandoned cemetery. 

The garden is now full of blooming plants that have spread everywhere but where I planted them. There are hundreds of bees and birds, chipmunks and squirrels, neighborhood cats, and even a fox that have claimed the area. The weeds are too much to keep up with even though I spend hours working there each week. So, I've decided that I need to be true to my nature and embrace the look of a long forgotten cemetery. We've joked that a few broken down tombstones would not be out of place. Well, my husband thinks we're joking. I'm not so sure.

If you're curious about the blue bottles, they are on the bottle trees we've installed at various spots around the yard. You can read my post about them here and even see my husband putting up our first one many, many years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Beguilingly beautiful garden/yard, my friend. I am 110% the idea of peppering it with headstones.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete