Friday, June 15, 2018

Vintage Halloween Decorations

I've never really collected antique or vintage Halloween decorations because when I first started collecting the prices were way too expensive for me. That's why I started collecting Halloween art by lesser known- and living- artists. I'm still interested in having some vintage pieces though and I'm in a better place financially than I was 30 some years ago so maybe now is the time?

The first thing you need to do when collecting antiques and vintage items is to know the market. You have to find similar pieces to know what a reasonable price is and this can be hard with pieces as unusual as Halloween items. I like the shop Exploremag run by Mike and Sammie Slone. They have a decent size collection of vintage Halloween items and the prices seem reasonable to me and are in-line with what I've seen at antique auctions and markets.

If you're going to collect vintage Halloween art buy the best in your price range and buy what you like- not what others say is rare or highly collectable.  You'll be happier because if you ever find out you've paid too much for something, you'll still love it and will be happy to own it.

1940's Smiling Jack-O-Lantern
1950's Halloween Witch Pull Toy
1940's Halloween Pumpkin
Halloween Black Cat Noise Maker
1940's Witch Party Favor
1930's German Jack O'Lantern
If you're just starting a collection you might want to pick one certain theme: witches, pumpkins, paper maché, bakelite- you get it. Always read the fine print and shop around. Do you have a vintage Halloween collection you'd like to share with Shivers of Delight? Send me a message!


No comments:

Post a Comment