Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Shirley Jackson Book Awards

I'm a little late on this one. I forgot to let you know about one of my favorite summer reading lists. Every May, the Shirley Jackson Awards are announced for the previous year's "outstanding achievement in the literature of psychological suspense, horror, and the dark fantastic."

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read any of the winners - yet. I'll be heading to my library with the list and then settling into my deck chair with a big black hat for shade and a gin and tonic by my side before submerging myself into a few of the winners. The 2016 Award Winners look intriguing. Come on in! The water's fine.

One book I have read recently (not one of the awards) that I very much enjoyed was The Secret Place (2014) by Tana French. This is one in a series of books about a Dublin murder squad. It's the only one I've read in the series and each book stands alone, so you don't have to read them in order. There is a little bit of magic and a lot of suspense about who murdered a boy found on the grounds of a private girls school. It was the kind of book that even when I wasn't reading it I was working out in my head who I thought the murderer was. There were many late nights with this one.

But I digress. If you want to read more posts about Shirley Jackson just type in her name in search box on the right. She comes up regularly in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment