Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Imagine an Artist Created Zoo

I wonder what it's like to walk through a zoo at night. I'll bet the animals are more active and relaxed. I make no secret of the fact that I dislike zoos. I know that they are better than they used to be, but I still feel guilty staring at an animal in a cage. You can call it an "enclosure" or "habitat", but it's still a cage. Now I've gone off topic.

Let's start over. Maggie Betley and Tracy Wright are two ceramicists that create sculptures of animals. Some of those animals are symbols of the darker sides of life. Those symbolic animals need love too. They're not evil, they're just the yang to the ying. Betley and Wright's shop is called Zoo Ceramics (hence the false start) and I like the detail that is carved and painted into their pieces. If they weren't ceramic you would want to to cuddle them.

Jester Crow by Tracy Wright
Green Man Gargoyle Plaque
Small Bat Wall Plaque
Large Bat Wall Plaque
Spider
Rat Knight
Dodo and Alice Sculpture

I think I'd rather stare at a ceramic animal in a cabinet than a real animal in a cage. In fact, let's replace all the animals in zoos with artists' representations of them. Now, that would be a zoo worth visiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment