Thursday, April 20, 2017

Bare Your Neck in Honor of Stoker

On April 20, 1912, Bram Stoker left this world. That's right. He died. Stoker is known around the world for his novel Dracula (I'm embarrassed to even mention that because I know that you already know that, but sometimes the obvious just needs to be said.)

I'm honoring Stoker today by setting up Edward Gorey's Dracula: A Toy Theatre. This was a gift from my sister that hasn't been opened yet. I felt I needed to wait for the right occasion. Ta Da!


This is only Act One: Dr.  Seward's Library, but you get the idea. I intend to set up all three acts and read the synopsis aloud to the cats as I go. It's convenient that I have a bad cold and am staying home from work today. I think that my sore, scratchy throat will only add character to my performance. 

Pyewackette is eagerly awaiting the start of the show.
By the way, in case you weren't aware, Dracula was turned into a Broadway play in 1977 by Hamilton Dean and John L. Balderston. Edward Gorey was responsible for the set and costume design. I wish I had seen that one. 

If you don't have a toy theater to play with today, then I encourage you to jump over to the Bram Stoker website and read one of his spooky short stories. I read the title story from the collection Dracula's Guest a few days and experienced authentic shivers of delight.

Before you start reading, pick up these ingredients: vanilla ice cream, triple sec, white creme de cacao, and grenadine. You're going to need them to mix up a Vampire Cocktail by the American Professional Bartending Schools of Illinois. It's ok, they're professionals.

Once your stage is set, pull back your hair to expose your lovely neck and sink in.


No comments:

Post a Comment