Friday, January 27, 2017

Macabre Linocuts

When I was in college I took a class in linocutting. I still have my tools around here somewhere. Carving into the linoleum block was very relaxing for me, but I quickly learned it takes a great deal of focus and a very steady hand to be any good. My finished products could be described as beginner-average, so I really admire people who do it well.

Jack Ankersen has a very steady hand. We know this because when he is not creating linocuts he is a tattoo artist. No one wants a shaky-handed tattoo artist. Ankersen's linocut prints are beautifully detailed and spooky. Just the way we like it. You can find these prints at more at his Etsy shop.

Krampus Church Burner
Levitation
Grave Robbers
A Wolf That Eats Humans
Snake Charmer
Nailed Bat
Andersen says that the Krampus Church Burner print was one of the first linocuts he ever did. Wow, that is much better than beginner-average. All I can say is it's a good thing I'm not a tattoo artist.

To see some of Andersen's tattoo work check out this article in TattooDo.


No comments:

Post a Comment