Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Art of Storytelling

It's the day before Halloween and the perfect time to tell ghost stories without any interruptions from the door and darling trick-or-treators. Recently I've been in several situations that called for the telling of a good ghost story and although everyone was eager, an awkwardness settled in as no one knew any tales or even how to tell them. So sad, and a horror story in and of itself.

I could put the blame on many things, but in this blame-society let's turn to solutions. I think we need to use our ears more than our eyes for a good story. We could learn a lot from podcasts. One of my favorite memories of Halloween was just last year when I sat alone on my dark porch waiting for the next group of kids listening to the podcast Lore. I suddenly was aware of every little noise that sounded like someone might be sneaking up behind me. My neck was sore the next day from snapping my head around all night. It was a blast!

Tonight, let's light a few candles and gather round the iPad (maybe you could pull up an image of a fire) and listen to some ghost stories. And, while your scaring yourself, take note of how it happened. Let's bring back the lost art of telling a good ghost story.

Here are a few podcasts to listen to tonight. If you have a favorite let me know about it.


Lore explores the darker side of history, exploring the creatures, 
people, and places of our wildest nightmares.



NoSleep presents original horror stories intended for mature audiences.
It's not for the faint of heart.


The Anything Ghost Show presents listener submitted personal
paranormal experiences with spooky music.


The Wicked Library brings you original horror stories by 
the newest and best independent authors.

That should keep you busy this evening. Please listen responsibly and don't knock the candles over as you run for the light switch.





No comments:

Post a Comment