Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween! We made it to another year. I had a blast this season and hope you enjoyed it too. Although celebrating Halloween on a Monday isn't ideal, I wouldn't change it for anything. Halloween has to be celebrated on the 31st. It's not just about the kids, you know.

I packed in a bunch of activities yesterday. My goal was to participate in The Great Pumpkin Project. I have no idea who came up with this, but I love it. The object is to carve some pumpkins and then secretly leave them around town- anywhere that it looks like a pumpkin could bring some magic.  It doesn't seem to have caught on yet, though. Part of the issue may be that you're supposed to leave a pumpkin somewhere everyday of October. That's a lot of work. If I were to tweak this project, I'd say it should take place the weekend or week before Halloween.

I chose three locations around town for my pumpkins. I could have chosen many more, but I didn't want to carve pumpkins all day! Maybe next year this will be a group activity.



Of course I saved the pumpkin seeds for roasting.


I kept the designs really simple and traditional. I have no idea what will become of the pumpkins once I set them in place. Will some juvenile delinquent smash it? Will the police carry it away as evidence? Keep it simple, I told myself.


Once dusk fell (and rain along with it) I decided it was time to set the pumpkins in place. I yelled for my husband-get-away driver and with a pocketful of battery operated tea lights we hit the road.

First stop: the town pocket park with an important statue of someone I probably should know. 



Second stop: The ancient town cemetery of course.



Third stop: the town library- that lion really needed company.



My husband and I had a few laughs as he would pull over and I would jump out of the car with the pumpkin, snap a few pictures, and drive off into the dark. I will definitely do this again. I hope they last through Halloween, and if they do, I'll be sure to pick them up the next day so that they don't become a nuisance for someone. 

I ended the evening by baking some cookies for Halloween treats for my friends.


As you can tell by the final product, the cookie-icer may have been operating under the influence of alcohol.

I hope you have a splendid Halloween, my friends. Thank you for sharing it with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment