Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Hands in Mourning

This weekend is the Brimfield Flea Market in Brimfield, MA. It's one of the largest markets in the U.S. and it's held three times a year. I try to make a visit each time. Over the years I've found many wonderful things. My favorite is a votive candle stand (around 50 candles) that once was housed in a church. It looks amazing surrounded by skulls. I also try to add to my black (or amethyst) glass dish collection. It's quite impressive as Halloween party serving pieces. I always have my eye out for a nice wicker casket. It would make a lovely cat bed for our six cats.

This year I have decided to keep watch for Victorian mourning jewelry. Specifically, I'd like to find a brooch with hands.  I've been doing a little research on Etsy to see what is available and in what price ranges and I'll share what I've found with you today.

Wood Antique Mourning Brooch (housewarming101)
Mourning Hand with Forget-me-knots and Rose Wreath (victoriansentiments)
Vulcanite Hand Holding Flowers (MaisonettedeMadness)
Hand Holding Roses Mourning Brooch (housewarming101)
Hand Holding a Fruit Basket (histoireancienne)
Double Hands with Wreath Mourning Brooch (machine dance)
Victorian Mourning Brooch with Clasped Hands (VintageMoondance)
Mourning Brooch with Hands Holding Flowers (housewarming101)

The variety of brooches I was able to find on Etsy makes me think I should have luck at Brimfield. The prices generally range from $90 to $150 depending on the condition, type of material, and design. 

If you're interested in mourning jewelry, I hope you're following the blog Art of Mourning. There is much to learn about symbolism used in death. Even these hands have different meanings depending on the position and types of flowers. It's fascinating.


No comments:

Post a Comment