Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Alaina Varrone's Eerie Embroidery

I know that you all love embroidery because the blog gets more attention when I post stitching projects. It's such a simple, beautiful medium. It's a little like magic to me how you can take a strand of thread and create something so richly-layered.

Artist Alaina Varrone has captured my attention.  Her work makes me stop and stare every time I see it. I think it's the quietness in her pieces combined with a bit of uneasiness and horror that makes me love her.  The simple stitches and textures she brings to each piece allow you to focus on the subject and not her handiwork. I have a feeling that simplicity is harder to do than it looks.

Varrone has a variety of themes that she works with - many of them might be considered adult themes- but it's the eerie subjects that I like best. They're all awe-inducing, however. When I realized that she is from New Haven, Connecticut, I decided I want her for a best friend. We're practically neighbors.

Her website includes a gallery and a blog. She also has a shop on Etsy called Wizards Paw where she lists pieces from time-to-time. I'm showing you work from her gallery today. I think it would be a good idea to follow her on Facebook or Instagram. We need to keep track of this one.

Skeleton (2015)
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Exorcism
Untitled
Varrone is preparing work for a show on America's Cryptozoological Monsters. I think I'll be seeking more information on that for you. That might be worth a road trip, don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment