Friday, May 13, 2016

The Shining as Opera

I'm a bit late on this one and you may have already heard about it, but just in case, did you know that Stephen King's "The Shining" has been turned into an opera? Awesome! While I'm not a regular listener of opera I do enjoy it from time-to-time. Why? The drama, of course. Did you ever think about how the term soap-opera came about?

I heard about "The Shining" being made into an opera on NPR last evening. Hear that story right here. The Minnesota Opera commissioned the work and the music is composed by Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Paul Moravic. The libretto is by Mark Campbell.

I'm very sad to announce that tickets have already been sold out. I'm hopeful that the opera will go on tour and there will be performances around Halloween. How perfect would that be? Of course, my husband, hearing some of the music last evening looked physically in pain, but opera isn't for everyone. Maybe he was just frightened.

Here are some photos from the opera. It looks amazing. The set design by Erhard Rom should win an award. All photos are from the Minnesota Opera.





Stephen King must be having the time of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment