Thursday, May 12, 2016

Caitlin McCormack: Crocheted Skeletons

My husband and I just returned from New Orleans where my two favorite things to do (besides drinking) are visiting cemeteries and the art galleries on Royal Street. Red Truck Gallery is one of my favorites and the day we visited they had just installed five pieces from artist Caitlin McCormack. I fell head over heals in love with her work and am still not sure why I didn't leave with one of the pieces.

McCormack crochets tiny skeletons and uses glue to harden them. In her own words:
"The act of stiffening intricately crocheted cotton string with glue produces material that is structurally similar to delicate bone tissue.  The string implemented in this process can be viewed as the basic cellular unit of fabrication, and by utilizing media and practices inherited from my deceased relatives, I aim to generate emblems of my diminishing bloodline, embodied by each organism's skeletal remains."

On with the show.

Ad Obsidendam
Aegualis
Bandolier (The Protector)
Hospitality, My Eagerness
Bound, As It Were

McCormack also does illustration equally well. I'm a fan.

Red Delicious
Brown Bag Life
Unannounced
Besides the pieces at Red Truck Gallery where McCormack will be part of a show called "New New" opening on June 11th, her pieces are also available at Paradigm Gallery & Studio in Philadelphia where she had a show last fall called "Mnemosyne."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the mention! We are so happy that you discovered and fell in love with Caitlin McCormack's artwork! Let us know if you ever want a heads up about her upcoming collections :)
    (sara@paradigm-gallery.com)

    ReplyDelete