Monday, February 22, 2016

A Side of French Poison, Please

Bust of La Voisin
La Voisin was executed on this day in 1680. Her real name was Catherine Monvoisin and she was a major player in the affair des poisons during the reign of Louis the XIV in France.  She began her career as a fortune teller when her husband's business failed and ended up hosting elaborate parties and black masses (sound similar to New York City in the 1970s?)  La Voisin was executed for being a witch and the purveyor of poisons to many in Louis' court.  She is said to be responsible for the deaths of well over 1,000 people.

If you're interested in the affair des poisons I suggest you read the fictionalized account in the novel The Oracle Glass by Judith Merkle Riley. It has poison, intrigue and romance. I wrote about it in a blog post that seems like eons ago. You can read the very short post here. I must say I pictured La Voisin as someone more attractive.

If La Voisin inspires you to bring a little fear into the minds of your family and friends, I recommend to you the wicked baking dishes available from several sellers on Etsy. I just love these. I need to get a few.
GoneGirly
SophiasPretties
ThatGlassStore

For something a little more sophisticated, I would recommend these:

BeatUpCreations
SecondChanceCeramics

Drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment