Monday, December 7, 2015

John Connolly: Night Music, Nocturnes Volume 2

I don't know why John Connolly isn't as famous as Neil Gaiman. Well, I probably do know why, but that's for a different kind of blog. I truly love Connolly's writing and his latest book of supernatural short stories does not disappoint. I have previously written about Connolly's series for young adults concerning Samuel Johnson and his dog, Boswell, and their adventures with Hell. If you didn't see it, you can find it right here.

Connolly's latest is Night Music: Nocturnes Volume 2. It contains eleven short stories and two novellas- thirteen total. As I finished each story, I quietly closed the book and stared off into space for a few minutes. Connolly's stories are chilling and deep. You want to think about them awhile and wonder. They really will haunt you. This book follows a short story collection by Connolly published ten years ago. I haven't read that one, but I'll be looking it up.

Some of the stories feature a dark look at religion like The Blood of the Lamb and Lazarus. Those two stories stopped me in my tracks. There are wonderful stories about a lending library where the characters of well-loved novels come to life. A fiendish story, Razorshins, about bootleggers and a mythical creature in the woods of Maine will have you reaching for a bottle. The Hollow King will make you think differently about every fairy tale you've ever read, and love for that matter. I could go on, but you need to read these for yourself. Many of the stories take place in the dark and cold of winter so this is the perfect book to curl up by the fire and read. 

If you're looking for more spooky books to read. Don't forget you can click on the "Books" link on the right to see what else I've read and loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment