Monday, November 2, 2015

Dia de los Muertos

The celebration continues with Dia de los Muertos! I have adopted this holiday as a way to remember the dead in my family. I love the joyful way Dia de los Muertos honors the deceased. I see the holiday creeping more and more into American culture and I don't think it's a bad thing as long as people take some time to understand what it's about. Even Target sold sugar skulls this year.

I have a small display of Mexican sugar skulls and skeletons in our house. My collection grows a bit every year.


These stay on display all year long and guests love them and ask about the holiday. I love sharing my limited knowledge.  One year I purchased inexpensive paper mache skulls from Michaels and sprayed them with a light coat of white paint. I spent a few hours painting and decorating them and then found some cupcake stands with skulls that show them off beautifully. This would be a fun project to do with kids.


Take some time today to pull out photos of your family members that have passed on and tell stories about them. Eat some of their favorite foods and keep them in your heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment