Thursday, September 17, 2015

Lighting It Up

Lighting is so important at Halloween. Not only does it have to set a mood, but it has to be safe for the trick-or-treaters climbing up the steps of your porch.

Our house sits a bit further back from the road than the other houses on our street so, to be seen, we really need to light up the house at night. Otherwise, my Halloween decorations are all for naught. In the past I've used red flood lights, but I think I want to do something different this year.

We have large flames that we constructed and painted from plywood that go around the house. You can see them in this photo from a few years ago (and read a post about them)


This year I  purchased a few spot lights from Grandin Road that have a flame-like effect. It's called the Fire and Ice Spotlight. I think I'll use it under the porch roof to get the best look.
Fire and Ice Spotlight
I've noticed a few other online lighting companies are carrying this type of light and have it in colors other than red and orange.

I really am inspired by the lighting on this fire house. It's on Instructables.com, but I'm not sure I have the skills or patience to pull it off.
Fire House

I like how the house below from the blog Soak It All In has just lit up the porch.
(source: Soak It All In)
Now, however, I've been looking at some houses lit for Halloween that are really awesome, and may change my entire plan. Take a look at these houses that light the inside and not the outside!

Jonathan Fuchs Lighting Design
(source: HouseLogic)
I think I am going to have to experiment and get back to you on my final plan. I hope I don't electrocute myself. Is safety really more important than effect?



No comments:

Post a Comment