Friday, August 28, 2015

The Literary Hatchet

When I was researching for the Lizzie Borden post (here), I came across an online literary zine that I think you should check out. It's called The Literary Hatchet. Published by PearTree Press, executive editor Stephanie Koorey says "It is free because we philosophically believe that the work of these artists and writers deserves to be read by the widest possible audience."
Issue #12
The Literary Hatchet is published three times a year. The latest issue came out on August 15th and I've been slowly, but surely, make my way through the 300 pages of short stories, poetry, and essays. Yes, this zine is more like a tome.
Issue #9
"The Literary Hatchet publishes contemporary short fiction, poetry, humor, interviews and reviews by established and emerging writers and artists from around the world. Subjects range from murder, mystery, macabre, horror, monsters, ghosts and things that go bump in the night."
Issue #4
The current issue features 38 short stories, 47 poems, and 3 essays. I'm almost finished reading it and while I've liked some stories better than others I can say it is well worth your time. And I did mention the online version is free.
Issue #2
You'll find stories that range about murderers, vampires, and the worst of humans. Stories that stick in my mind include a child who is visited by dead corpses that leave messages; a confession with a twist between a murderer and a journalist; corporate brainwashing; a person addicted to eating flesh; and so much more.

You can also purchase print copies for between $8 and $14 dollars. I think it's worth that just to be able to frame the covers!

No comments:

Post a Comment