Thursday, August 6, 2015

Name Your Poison Barware

Let me begin by saying that I'm not an expert on mid-century glassware, but I do like to drink a cocktail out of a fancy glass. So when your love of spooky meets your love of tipsy, magic happens. I've been watching the Name Your Poison barware designs by mid-twentieth century designer Georges Briard on sites like Ebay for about a year now. This is what I know: items come up regularly, they sell fairly well, and the prices can range from a steal to "holy crap!" To date I have only made one purchase- a set of eight cocktail napkins in the original box. I paid around $30 for the set on Ebay. I have no idea if that was a good price, but I'm happy.  See Exhibit A.
Exhibit A: Georges Briard Cocktail Napkins

I have also learned that besides Briard, the Cera Glass Company (not sure that is the correct name) also had a Name Your Poison design. It looks a little more pharmaceutical than Briard's design and I suspect that it may have come later. The Cera pieces tend to be less expensive than the Briard pieces.

I'm showing a few items that are currently available on Ebay and Etsy. If you're plan on making a purchase, bid quickly and bid high. You may not see that particular item again for some time.

Briard Skull and Bones Swizzle Sticks at RoseandRueAntiques
Cera Poison Ice Bucket at MODernThrowBack
Cera Glasses at Shoaza
Briard Tumbler Set at jeanlee24
Paris Green Tumbler at brizzo0614
Cera Coaster Set

I've also seen a set of tumblers from Libby Glassware, but the design isn't nearly as interesting as those by Briard and Cera. Good luck and search often.

No comments:

Post a Comment