Friday, August 14, 2015

First Day of Ghost Month!

Today is the first day of the Chinese celebration of Ghost Month. I want to tell you so many things about this month-long festival that I know practically nothing about, so you'll have to give me some leeway here. To begin with, it's a little like the western world's celebration of Halloween and Day of the Dead. I was introduced to the festival when I read the novel The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo.  While I wasn't overwhelmed by the story, I was fascinated by the traditions surrounding ghosts in Chinese culture.
British Museum Paper Effigy
I'm getting ahead of myself. During the month of the seventh lunar moon, people in many areas of the eastern world honor their ancestors by leaving food for them and burning effigies (Koh Ah Bah) of items they might need in the afterlife. For instance, you can purchase items made of joss paper such as money, cars, computers, cell phones, and clothing to burn. There are joss paper stores where you can purchase the items you need. I even found some items on Etsy! The exact date of the festival varies because of the lunar calendar, but in 2015 the first day of the festival is August 14 and the last day is September 12.
(photo source: mothership.sg article on the decreasing number of joss stores)
On the first day of Ghost Month, it is believed that the gates of Hell open allowing ghosts to roam the earth. (From what I understand, Buddhist/Taoist Hell is not the same as Christian Hell. I believe that it is more like a holding area, but I'm no expert so don't quote me on that.) On the last day, boats lit with candles are floated down the river showing the ghosts the way home.

The most important day during Ghost Month is the Hungry Ghost Festival celebrated on the 15th day of the seventh lunar month (in 2015 that is August 28th). On this day all ghosts and spirits are honored- not just your own relatives. In cities and village you will find fires burning to make offerings and will  see food left outside for the ghosts.

There are many superstitions about Hungry Ghost Month. I found a very funny article in the online magazine Preen called 10 Super Serious Ways to Future-Proof Your Life for Ghost Month.
One of my favorites:

#6 No contracts
It’s not advisable to sign any contracts during the Ghost Month. It’s best not to get into anything that the ghosts can potentially ruin. That new job might sound enticing, but it’s going to ruin your very core. A relationship is basically a contract of commitment, so forget about it. Stay happy, unemployed, single, and tell those ghosts to fuck off.

Ok, so I really don't have time to tell you everything I've learned because I have to go to work. I have a real job, people. I'm leaving you with a few more links and images and warning you to start making offerings to your ancestors and don't go in the water.

Hungry Ghost Festival at China Highlights
Discover the Hungry Ghost Festival of Singapore
Funeral Fashion Show to Inject Life Into Hong Kong's Hungry Ghost Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment